Network Address Calculator
August 7, 2010 Leave a comment
Netmatics Subnet Address Calculator is a simple but versatile utility that applies a subnet mask to an IPv4 address to calculate following useful information about the subnet
– Network or the subnet address
– Number of hosts addresses in the subnet
– Address range, i.e. the IP address of the first and last hosts
– Broadcast address
– Wildcard Mask that would match all the hosts in the network and useful in network access control lists.
Here are couple of examples that show the basic use of the tool.
Example 1: Find the host network address for host/mask 22.214.171.124/255.255.255.192
Example 2: Are the following host addresses and masks on the same subnet
1. 172.16.48.3 / 255.255.240.0
2. 172.16.62.82 / 255.255.240.0
3. 172.16.66.23 / 255.255.240.0
Below are the 3 calculated outputs from the Analyzer that show the first 2 hosts are in the same subnet while the third is in different subnet.
Note the output table for 172.16.48.3/20 shows that the containing subnet 172.16.48.0/20 has host address range from 172.16.48.1/20 to 172.16.63.254/20. This range also shows that 172.16.62.xxx/20 will be in the subnet where as all addresses 172.16.66.xxx/20 are outside the range.